Thursday, October 27, 2011

Garbage Candy: A Sweet & Salty Treat

Every summer when we would go visit my grandma she would always have treats waiting for our arrival. Homemade cookies, pies, candies, you name it she could or would make it. Maybe that's where I get my sweet tooth from. She use to make this candy, that she called Garbage Candy, and it was one of my favorite, addictive little treats.

The other week when I made my dessert kabobs, I had left over white chocolate and I had no idea what to do with it, and then a light bulb went off...garbage candy! So I made a little batch and it was just as good as I had remembered and I had made a new person an addict, my husband. He's been asking me daily, when are you going to make it again?! He swears its because it breaks up into little pieces so you don't need much to calm your need for sweets, but they are like Pringles...once you pop you cant stop...


Here's how I make these tasty treats



Ingredients
  • Bars of white chocolate
  • pretzels
  • unsalted peanuts
  • rice chex
  • cheerios
Directions:



 

Use a double boiler to melt your chocolate this is much more effective then trying to melt it in the microwave. I just create my own broiler by putting one of my stainless steel mixing bowls on top of one of my stainless steel pots, yes you will need gloves so you don't burn your fingers! I always add just a little oil to help thin out the chocolate a bit.


I combine the pretzels, peanuts, rice chex, and cheerios into a bag and smash them up a bit, not too much. Once the chocolate is melted I add my mix to the chocolate slowly, stirring and making sure that every piece is completely covered. You want to add enough of the mixture that there is hardly any chocolate left on its own but you want to make sure that everything you add is covered in chocolate. Then I dump the chocolate with the mixture on to a piece of parchment paper that's in a pan and I put it in the fridge for about an hour to set. Once it has set, I take it out and break it up into little pieces. I store it in an air tight container in the fridge to keep it fresh!

It's pretty easy and it will be a huge hit. It is perfect to just throw a little piece in with your lunch to carve off those sweets cravings.

Thanks for reading!:)

5 comments:

  1. Looks yummy Kelli! your pictures are awesome too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These remind me of when I was growing up. My mom made something very similar. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will have to try this recipe. This sounds so delish! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try this! How much of each ingredient though?

    ReplyDelete

  5. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    skip bin hire brisbane
    skip bin hire online

    ReplyDelete