Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dessert Kabob's

Hi Everyone! Hope that everyone had an awesome weekend! Ours was very relaxing, trying to enjoy our home this past weekend before we head to Virginia this week! I am so excited about this trip, but I am even more excited that this will be our last trip of 2011 until New Year’s Eve. Whew, we have been like gypsies this year, traveling like crazy. It has been fun but I am so ready to kick back and focus on our home and start some more great projects! Any who, this past weekend I celebrated my best friend S's birthday, and she had a nice get together at her home with all her girlfriends. We were all asked to bring ourselves, a dish, a drink, and some pj's. I knew I'd be eating good because all of the girls that were attending love to cook and make tasty treats!

I decided to make what I am calling, dessert kabobs. I got the idea from pinterest, and just tweaked it a bit. Here are the ingredients.

The original recipe called for pound cake, strawberries, and chocolate. Well, when I went to get the ingredients, I noticed there was lemon pound cake. Hmm..lemon and strawberries, that’s always a good combination, so I went with the lemon instead. When I went down the chocolate isle, I noticed a white chocolate calling my name. So I decided to switch from chocolate to white chocolate. Yum Yum.

Ingredients:
· 1 lemon pound cake
· 2 boxes strawberries
· White chocolate
· Kabob sticks





I cut the lemon into squares and cut the tops on the strawberries and placed them on the kabobs, alternating between pound cake and strawberries. I then melted the white chocolate, I have found the best way to melt chocolate is by steaming in, boil a pot of water and put a bowl that is safe to use on the top of the bowl, add a little oil to help thin it out. After the chocolate was melted it, I moved it into a plastic bag, cut of the corner, and squeezed the chocolate all over the kabobs. Put in the fridge for about 30 minutes and the chocolate will harden and be ready for serving!

This recipe turned out so delicious! And no kabob made it out alive! They were devoured! This was definitely a winning recipe, and ridiculously easy. Nearly impossible to mess up! If you make it, you will not be disappointed!

Thanks for reading! :)
The DIY Show Off

45 comments:

  1. YUM!! Can't wait to try these, what a fun adaptation! I'm visiting from the NJAH linky party, I hope you'll pop by and say hello!

    http://littlebirdiebaby.blogspot.com/2011/10/tutorial-tuesday-linky-party-trio-of.html

    I also have a linky party every Tuesday and would love it if you'd link up your tutorial, I'm featuring recipes this week! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Coastal Charm and these look sooo good! The lemon with strawberry sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinning this! Sounds yummy! Vicky @ www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelli - you had me at pound cake! :) They look delicious. Thanks for sharing! And Im excited that you'll be home for awhile after this trip.. I know how exhausting traveling can be. Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh! These look soooo yummy! I must make! Thanks for sharing!
    Stephanie @ Ladywiththeredrocker.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good! And seem really easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum!

    found you via TT.

    hope you'll visit me and my giveaway:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-stencil-splendor-giveaway.html

    warmly.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, there! You've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. May I invite you to join me, too, at my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious food. I added so many creams on it, which make more delicious and yummy. I am really mad for cream and oily test, also make in crispy style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks good! Thanks so much for linking with us at Show & Share!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kellie, my mouth is watering as I am reading this. I will definitely have to make this recipe sometime soon. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Strawberry Kabobs sound wonderful thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw these kabobs over at Crafty Staci and knew I would love your blog!!
    Cannot wait to check out all your posts!!
    ~New Follower from ATL.
    Jen @ hutchinsonherd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think these would be good with Rice Crispy Treats instead of the pound cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These also work great using donut holes! I made them for a bake sale... they were a HUGE hit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Kellie! Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    Quick question for you (or anyone reading this)...

    How long will these keep? You said 30 minutes in the fridge will help the chocolate harden, but how long before they HAVE to be served?

    I would like to make some for an event I'm throwing, but I would need to make them in advance. And I don't want to have soggy cake chunks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping for an answer to this question as well! Any takers?

      Delete
    2. Hi, I know it's late for your party but I made these for my son's 3rd birthday party this weekend. We had about a 3 hour time window before we had a soggy mess. For 3 year olds it was a good thing. I skipped the chocolate (don't add any cream to the white chocolate, I did and it was ick) since I destroyed it. Big hit! Angel food cake is good too.

      Delete
  18. THANK YOU!! these look amazing. bookmarked and can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh boy! That is brilliant. On my to-do list. Thank you very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Next party potluck I go to I have to make these bad boys! Thanks for shareing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks great. Think I'll tint the white chocolate blue to have some red, white and blue for the 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Add blueberries inbetween for a patriot treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Hint: put the chocolate in a plastic bag before you melt it---much cleaner and easier too

    ReplyDelete
  24. What If you dip the strawberries ends slightly in the chocolate then the juices won't leach into the cake

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kellie, I can't wait to try this. I love white chocolate. So simple,but so good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome idea, love all food on a stick!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Made these this weekend and they were delicious! The kids loved them too :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this!! I'm going to add blueberries for the 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm making these for a picnic this weekend! Do you think Angel Food Cake would work just as well? Just asking because I actually have it in the house. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Someone should check your spelling and typing, by the way. (Aisle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really ? Did that in any way change the recipe ?

      Delete
  32. Making these tomorrow, can't wait! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Having a bake sale and 30% has to be healthy; I am going to make these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Add a little oil to help thin out the icing???? Help! What kind of oil? Crisco? Do you just put it in with the icing? Lori

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm making these for book club this weekend; I'm going to use a little Walnut Oil (specialty shop treat!!) to my chocolate, and set out some whipped cream for dipping. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These look great, I make some using two bite brownies and Wilton Chocolate candy melts. I also alternate the fruit with others for variety.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This would be such a cute patriotic dessert with the white chocolate colored blue!

    ReplyDelete