Friday, October 21, 2011

Taco Soup

This is one of my favorite meals to make on a cold night, like last night. If your tired of warming up your nights with chili, taco soup is a great alternative. One of our best friends made this for us in college and I was surprised when he told me that his Mom had taught it to him and that it is derived from a Weight Watchers Recipe. Ever since that night, almost 4 years ago, this soup has been a cold weather staple in our household.

Ingredients


- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 packet of dry ranch mix
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- 1 can of corn
- 3 cans of different beans (i.e. black, red, and pinto)

Directions

Brown the meat. While cooking the meat, open the cans and prep for adding into a large pasta pot. I try to be the low sodium version of the canned beans, tomatoes, and corn and I always rinse them to wash off any extra sodium I can. After cleansing the can veggies, dump them in the large pasta pot, fill one can with water and dump into the pot, if you feel like it needs a bit more, add more, but you do not want it too soupy. Once the meat is cooked at it to the pasta pot, then add the packet of taco and ranch seasonings. Stir well...let it sit and simmer on the stove for about 20 minutes, continuing to stir. It also can be made in a crock pot and simmer for a few hours. It is yummy either way!



When serving, I add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cheese. I also tear up 1 wheat tortilla for each bowl I am serving.

Super easy recipe, and so delicious! Try it out and you can tell me how much you love it! Thanks for reading! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kelli! That looks really good, especially when the weather gets colder. I also like that it's a nice quick meal. Thank you for sharing it :o) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this all the time...Only difference is we add a can of Rotel! I love it as a soup, my boys love to drain the juice and throw it on top of chips....nachos? (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! My husband and I love everything taco like. Thanks for sharing at Freshmen Friday!

    ReplyDelete