Monday, August 15, 2011

Drab to Fab: My Hutch Remodel

When I joined the blogosphere, I was in awe of all the fabulous remodel and refurbished projects. There were so many great projects and I wanted to be able to add my own project to that collection, but I did not really know where to start. Luck would have it that a family member was doing a slight remodel on their basement and they had a few pieces of furniture I could have for FREE!! Score! When I saw the hutch it screamed "I'm so outdated, please save me!" And save it I did......



When I got it home I took a good look at it, the wood was in pretty good shape but I did not care for the top glass doors. I knew those would not be used in my refab. I also wanted to update the hardware, I found the hardware I used at home depot and I just fell in love with it, then when I saw the price tag of $1.39 a pull, I knew it was fate! The hutch also had 18 wood plugs along the sides that looked like bolts. I found the exact size of the plugs that were in the original version of the hutch and I bought a set of 50 of them for under 3 dollars. I spray painted them black to match the hardware.

Anyways, check out these before pictures.



So, this being my first real overhaul I did not have all the proper equipment that I needed. My husband went with me to Lowes and helped me pick out an awesome palm sander, and a primer. That day I spent hours in the garage sanding the hutch. It took a while to get it sanded but once I was done, I did not want to hesitate. I spent 2 nights after work priming. Here are some pictures of the hutch all primed in its glory.




Once the priming was done, I decided it was time to pick out paint. I made another trip to Home Depot and finally landed on a color, Baja by Behr. I wanted something with a little color, a hint of beige or tan but nothing to dark. After the first coat, I was a little nervous about the color. I decided to give it a shot and put on the 2nd coat of paint. Sure enough, it grew on me and now I LOVE it!!

I knew that I wanted to either wallpaper or put fabric on the back of the upper cabinet. I remembered that I had this fabric laying around from when I had reupholstered our dining room chairs. Our living room/dining room is very open so I thought that this would help tie the two spaces together.

After a morning of thrifting and hitting a few garage sales, I dragged my mom with me to Michaels. We bought foam board and spray adhesive. I measured the back of the upper cabinet and we cut the foam board to size. We then sprayed the foam board with the adhesive and wrapped it in our cut fabric. Below is a picture of half of it inserted, and the finished product.




Well, after about two weeks of work I finished my first true overhaul and I absolutely LOVE the way it turned out! Special shout out to my hubs who helped me and taught me so much, and my mom for helping me install the fabric backing! I can not wait to do another one! Here are some more pictures I took of the final product, enjoy!!






(decorated with stuff around the house, this will probably change, but just to get an idea)


Thanks for reading!! 

31 comments:

  1. Awesome job Kelli!! Love it. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous job...I have a hutch myself that is waiting for an overhaul...soo mnay projects so little time!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This hutch looks beautiful! Great job! Thanks for linking up on "Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop"!

    From this week's party co-host:

    Jacque @ Jacque's Soda Parlor
    thesodaparlor.blogspot.com

    P.S. I'm your newest follower!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I actually have a similar piece that I haven't done anything with yet. The bottom part is in my kitchen, holding my hand-towels and dishcloths, and the top is on baby-to- be's dresser. I've been thinking about using the whole piece in the kitchen for cookbooks, and other things. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come and link this to WorkShop Wednesday this wednesday. I would love to feature it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the makeover looks fantastic.
    love the fabric choice!
    cheryl xox.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did such a wonderful job! Your china dresser is completely adorable - LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Very, very nice re-do! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! I have often seen these hutches at thrift stores for under $25 because no one knows what to do with them. This is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. now I know what do with the hutch in my mom's garage.
    I will be honored if you will add this project in our weekly linking party every Wednesdays at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/08/my-inner-baker-with-linking-party.html
    Have a great week,
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the redo...getting ready to change my kitchen hutch from British Red to Antique White...yours is a great inspiration...plan on using burlap on mounting boards for the back...

    Will definitely be following your blog from now on...

    Donna
    Tinglelaneprimitives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful cabinet and wonderful job updating her prettiness. Found you via Someday Crafts and have become your newest follower. Pop on over for a visit if you get a moment.
    Tootles, Kathryn
    http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/07/falling-off-pink-cloud-and-landing-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! I love the contrast of the dark pulls, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great change! its amazing how the same piece can look so different!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great and I like the paper lining the back walls of the cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that transformation!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. New follower! I love your hutch! I've been looking for one to redo myself. Yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! You did a great job! I love the antiqued look! And the paper lining is genius! Love it all!

    I am hosting a fun giveaway & would love to have you check it out--

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/uprinting-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. that cupboard was so 1983 before you got your talented hands on it...love the makeover...especially the pretty paper...thanks for linking up to fridays unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your hutch looks great! So much brighter than it was. Nice job. Visiting from Serenity Now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic transformation! It looks absolutely gorgeous and we are so glad you shared it with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the makeover! I am a damask and toile girl, so I love your choice of fabric, too!

    One thing I noticed that you did not mention is that you turned the bottom doors upside down. Was that something you planned or was it a happy accident?

    Thanks for sharing your makeover!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  23. It doesn't even look like the same piece of furniture...great remodel. I'd enjoy it in my home. I'm visiting from Inspiration Friday. Visit Bible Love Notes if you have a chance (http://biblelovenotes.com) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Somebody has a feature... *wink wink* Hope you'll pop over and grab a featured button from Truly Lovely! http://trulylovelywiththelaneysisters.blogspot.com/2011/08/fancy-this-features-38.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. I featured this post- come stop by and see! WorkShop Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  26. That turned out fantastic! Thanks for linking it up to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely! I love the fabric you chose! Great re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  28. beautiful!! like a new piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  29. it looks beautiful- i especially love the pattern behind the glass! it adds a nice touch of glam!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have done a beautiful job on the hutch, and I'm sure you have given many others a great idea to freshen up an old piece of furniture. Great Tutorial.

    I would love to have you to link up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-59-with-egg.html

    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/

    ReplyDelete